Monday, May 12, 2008

Coming to America

May 11 at 6:30 am, Northwest Airline Flight No. 72 took off for Detroit, Michigan. I was seated at no. 62K. The flight had a stop over at Nagoya, Japan. I checked out the Duty Free store in NAgoya and there was a corner there with all SanRio products. I was almost tempted to buy but I was saving all my money for NY shopping.

Flight from Manila to Nagoya was almost four hours, waiting time at Nagoya was 2 hours, Nagoya to Detroit was more than 11 hours. After so many hours of sitting there and alternately reading a book (The Untold Story of Imelda Marcos) and watching the in-flight movie and sleeping, we finally landed at McNamara Airport, Detroit City.

One last stage before entering the US: the port of entry immigration interview. The officer who interviewed me was suplado but he allowed me to stay in the States for 1 month so i give him +pogi points.

Ms. Daphne Roxas, the secretariat/coordinator of the Helena Benitez Global Forum, and a trustee of Vibal Foundation, Inc., fetched me at the baggage claiming area. With her was Ms. Caridad Sison of Department of Agriculture Davao.

We went out and I breathed my first US air :)

We enjoyed very much our taxi ride from the airport to Sterling Plaza, our temporary home in Manhattan. The driver, Anatole, is a Russian. He was so nice and funny and he even lent me his mobile phone which I used in calling my mother.

(to be continued... jetlag :) )

No comments: