Tuesday, May 13, 2008

New York - Day 1 & 2

Day 1 - May 11

I get to have my own Manhattan pad while in NY, thanks to my boss. The staff of apartment building were all very friendly and helpful. They gave me a copy of the NY City Guide.


2nd Ave

I made some calls to my mom and friends who are in the States. Phone calls within US and Canada are free. My roommate, Daphne Roxas, spent the night with her friend. I stayed at the apartment, surfed the web and chatted with my sister.


Day 2 - May 12

We went to the UN and registered. We were given our own IDs (personalized UN souvenir). We distributed flyers of our side event among attendees. I met Martha Benavidez, an active women's activist representing El Salvador and had lunch with her at the UN cafeteria. She is a very good friend of Ms. Daphne.

Daphne (left) and MArtha


Ms. Martha is so involved with the community in her hometown. Right now, she has this project called Old for the Young where old people discuss with young people culture, livelihood, community, etc. The young once (esp Martha and Daphne) have so much faith in the younger people. They believe that these young ones are brighter, smarter, and stronger.

After lunch, we went to the Philippine Consulate office at 5th avenue and we are very fortunate to have met the Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Ambassador (Your Honor) Hilario Davide. He was very warm, nice and friendly. We finalized the ambassador's schedule with the Philippine LGU-NGO delegation. His honor will meet the group on May 13 and will have lunch together with the government delegation on May 16 before the side event.


with the Honorable Hilario Davide and Ms. Daphne Roxas



After the photo op with the former Supreme Court Justice, we left the consulate. We took the subway (my first time! bought an unlimited (7 days) ride ticket. Ms. Daphne took me to 5th avenue, Rockefeller Center (there was an NBS event but I didn't recognize the celebrities), Macy's (Guess and Nine West bags 40% off!), KMart (Yes GAV there's a KMart in Manhattan. 34th St.).


Rockefeller center

After a little shopping, we went home already since Ms. Daphne still has her jet lag. I worked on this blog and checked the emails and made some phone calls.

I haven't eaten rice since leaving Manila. My very own chef (Morton Williams) prepares food for me. Tonight I had steak with spinach and potato, tomorrow Eggplant rollatini and caesar's salad.

No comments: